Tuesday, 26 March 2013

Two more finishes!

Hello everyone! Two more finishes from me, which I think takes me up to my 19th book! I read the second novel in the Hitchhiker's Guide series by Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. It's not quite as good as the first one but very witty nonetheless, and still with a fantastic cast of characters (Marvin the depressed robot with a brain the size of a planet is a particular favourite!) Then I read the second in the series of the Minstrel's Tale by Anna Questerly. It's much darker than the first one and I think it was more interesting for that. The main character is a minstrel who is a friend of young king Richard II at the end of the fourteenth century and the narrative is interspersed with the minstrel's 'tales', hence the title. The tales are always fun but in this novel the author started to recognise the educational potential of the tales as one or two of them reflected elements in the plot rather than being purely for 'entertainment'. Given that the author has done quite a lot of research on the period I had thought that this would come through more clearly, but let's see what happens in the next book! (Plus my knowledge of the period makes me rather biased on the subject!!) I'm not sure what to read next as I probably shouldn't download anything else on my Kindle really... Maybe I'll download a classic for free! Any suggestions?? Happy reading all!

2 comments:

  1. Super speedy happy reader ^_^ I love Marvin too ^_^ I've just been looking through a list of kindle classics! I want me a kindle!! lol. Anyhoo, I'm bound to say Dracula! But Little Women,Phatnom of the Opera,The Scarlet Pimpernel? it offers some good freebie treats!
    happy reading
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some great suggestions there Steph! I've read Dracula- it's brilliant- but I haven't read the Scarlet Pimpernel (I may have read Phantom when I was a teenager I think). I'm afraid I couldn't bear to read Little Women if you paid me! Lol! Kindles are great :-)

    ReplyDelete