Monday, 25 February 2013

My list so far...

Hello everyone! Thought I'd update my list. I finished Bright Young Things by Scarlett Thomas last week which I thought was very good. An unusual concept, like The Hundred Year Old Man- six young people, fresh out of university, apply to a job advert asking for 'bright young things' and after turning up at the job interview, the next thing they know, they are marooned on a desert island with no way to escape!  I thought this was a clever idea and I wasn't disappointed by the ending. I'm currently reading The Life of Pi by Yann Martel. I'd like to watch the film of this too. I've read the book before, but at least six years ago, and it was a mere 20p in the Amazon post-Christmas kindle sale so I thought it'd be rude not to read it! So here's my list so far:

1. P.D. James, A Mind to Murder
2. George R. R. Martin, A Clash of Kings
3. Alan Hollinghurst, The Stranger’s Child
4. Jeanette Winterson, Why be Happy when you could be Normal?
5. Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol
6. Jeanette Winterson, Oranges are not the only fruit
7. George RR Martin, A Storm of Swords
8. Eowyn Ivey, The Snow Child
9. Jonas Jonasson, The Hundred Year Old Man who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
10. Anna Questerly, The Minstrel's Tale
11. Scarlett Thomas, Bright Young Things

On the 'to read' list are: The Count of Monte Cristo (recommendation from a friend), The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton (who wrote the excellent House at Riverton), Star Maker by Olaf Stapledon (classic early twentieth century sci-fi, recommended by a friend).

Happy reading all!

2 comments:

  1. Life of pi, is on my to read list, , the film was brilliant , so I hope the book matches it ,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice update Laura ^_^ The Count of Monte Cristo is really good. I love Alexandre Dumas. Enjoy your new reads ^_^
    xox

    ReplyDelete