Thursday, 28 February 2013

Another Finish and a New Book!

Hello everyone! I appear to be on a roll at the moment! On Tuesday evening I started The Half-Life of Hannah by Nick Alexander...and on Wednesday evening I finished it! I bought it because it was 20p on Kindle and I thought it was rude not to!! It wasn't the best book I've ever read and it was rather slow to get going (as many of the Amazon reviewers noted) but when the major event of the novel happened, it was interesting to see how the protagonist, Hannah, would respond- would she continue with her 'half life' or would she decide to make a change. Quite a lot of family secrets came out during the novel- which was set during a two week holiday in France with Hannah's husband and son, sister, niece, and the sister's gay friend- one of which I wasn't entirely convinced by the end, but overall, it was a page turner and it kept me interested during my bus ride to work at 7.30am!

I'm now reading another book that I bought on a whim in the Kindle sale- Capital by John Lanchester. It's the story of a street in London and all the people that live on it- fascinating so far and very well written. The five characters I've met so far are all very detailed and believable. Can't wait to see what happens next!

So my list now looks as follows:

1. P.D. James, A Mind to Murder
2. George R. R. Martin, A Clash of Kings
3. Alan Hollinghurst, The Stranger’s Child
4. Jeanette Winterson, Why be Happy when you could be Normal?
5. Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol
6. Jeanette Winterson, Oranges are not the only fruit
7. George RR Martin, A Storm of Swords
8. Eowyn Ivey, The Snow Child
9. Jonas Jonasson, The Hundred Year Old Man who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
10. Anna Questerly, The Minstrel's Tale
11. Scarlett Thomas, Bright Young Things
12. Nick Alexander, The Half-Life of Hannah

4 comments:

  1. wow you're flying through books. I like the sound of Capital.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy reading Laura..we may have to update you to 100 books! ^_^
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes you are flying through your books, i.m too busy catching up on everyones blogs to start another book

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, it's my training I'm afraid, I find it very difficult to read a book slowly!!

    ReplyDelete