Sunday, 16 December 2012

First On My List:


I am loving the concept of this 'Blog' and 'The Fifty Book Challenge'.  I really like the idea of sharing my 'reads' with others and reading about what others are reading.  Thanks Steph for starting this, it is a great idea.
            I would be hard pushed to be starting my 'list' with a better book than this.  I found time to finish reading the book this morning and I had a bit of a 'harrumph' moment as I didn't really want it to end.  I could read about Bob and his Dad, James Bowen for days, weeks, months. . . you get the idea.  I really like books that are 'real' life.  This story is extraordinary however I often find the 'best' real life is and you could not make it up.  
           Currently Bob and James are celebrities.  Bob has a Twitter account and a Facebook account, many Youtube videos and together James and Bob have captured the hearts of fans around the globe.  There have been book signings and TV appearances.  The Book is a 'Best Seller' and is is not hard to figure out why.  This book has a real 'Feel good factor' about it.
            James would say he was rescued by Bob.  As a recovering heroin addict, living a precarious life on the streets of London discovering Bob created a companionship for James, a sense of routine and responsibility.  He describes Bob as his 'Baby' and himself as Bob's 'Dad'.  I think Bob was exceptionally lucky to have been rescued by James.  These two are 'Soul Brothers'.  Their relationship is mutually dependent.  Animal lovers will understand the depths of a relationship that there is to be had with sentient beings of a different species to ourselves.  It takes, love, trust and patience from both parties.  
             I learned a lot about life on the 'Streets' from reading this book and it gave me new insight.  I am the sort of person that has visited the sights of London and the lasting impression I was left with was the 'Cardboard Cities' in the depths of December.  I have seen 'homelessness' and 'beggars' in every city I have visited.  I am also aware there is a 'homeless' issue in my home town.  I cannot 'save the world' but what this book can do is give us a greater understanding about the 'souls' behind the images.  Bob did not 'save' or 'rescue' James in my opinion.  James rescued and saved himself, he certainly saved and rescued Bob.  Bob provided him with the unconditional love that became the catalyst for 'self healing'.  
             You do meet some people who are just 'special' and you do meet some animals who are just 'special'.  This pair are certainly 'very special'.  This is a lovely read and I could not recommend it highly enough.  I bought two copies to give as Christmas gifts, now I will have to explain to one of the recipients why theirs has already been read!  



XXX  Lucy 'Inthesky'

2 comments:

  1. Gosh what a great review , how can I live up to that lol, It's one to look out for and to add to my 50 books to read list , thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant review Lucy! Of course with all of the books everyone in the challenge is reading and telling me about my 50 book list may have to be extended! Each time I think, oo! I want to read that...and that.. and that one! lol.
    xox

    ReplyDelete